We Discover. We Grow.

Important information about taking girls on camps and holidays

October 19, 2018

Dear Leader

As you should be aware, the new time frame of twelve weeks’ notice for UK REN forms, is now mandatory (effective September 2018).  Therefore to make things run smoothly for your camps and holidays please follow the following guidance:

  • Please plan ahead and do speak to your Commissioner before booking any camp or holiday
  • If you are planning to take your Going Away with Licence, you must discuss this first with your Commissioner so that she can allocate you a mentor with the relevant experience.  You will need at least the 12 week period, maybe longer if this is the first time you have taken girls away.  You also need to allow time for your Commissioner, who is also a volunteer, to complete the necessary checks on the form.  Please note that you cannot take your going away with licence until you have completed your leadership qualification.
  • If you are an experienced and qualified leader, you may find yourself faced with a last minute bargain or special offer.  In this case your Commissioner has the discretion to allow a holiday to go ahead with a shorter time frame, depending on the experience of the team
  • Remember that all adults on the trip should have up to date recruitment checks and a relevant role on GO (DBS and references).  The first aider should have up to date first aid recorded on GO.  The leader in charge, first aider and caterer should be three different people.
  • As soon as you have spoken to your Commissioner, complete Part 1 of the REN form which seeks approval to go ahead with the camp or holiday.  There are clear guidance notes for leaders (to be read in conjunction with the form) at the beginning of the REN form.  The REN form is a working document and can be altered at any time during the process. 
  • When all preparations are complete Part 2, together with the initial Part 1, should be submitted to your commissioner for approval.
  • You will need to include relevant risk assessments and a signed and completed home contact form (the home contact should have completed at least Level 1 of A safe space training).

International REN forms require a longer period and require a permission to plan part 1, at least 9-18 months’ before the event.  Please discuss with your International Adviser and County Commissioner before booking an international holiday.

More information is available via this link https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/making-guiding-happen/running-your-unit/events-and-going-away/

As leaders you are the key to it all so thank you for continuing to provide fantastic opportunities by providing happy, safe and enjoyable holidays for all of our members.

Many thanks, 

Gillian Rees, Region Residential Adviser, Girlguiding North West England

Back to the top