If you’re between 14 and 18, you can develop your leadership skills while supporting a local unit with the Young Leader Qualification
The Young Leader Qualification (YLQ) is designed to help you take an active, positive part in running a Rainbow, Brownie or Guide unit. It is open to anyone in The Senior Section aged 14 to 18.
What does it entail?
The qualification consists of six practical modules, which are completed at the same time as volunteering with a unit.
- Module 1: Go! and sectional training – focuses on the Girlguiding membership system (Go!) and learning more about the section you are working with.
- Module 2: Leadership – looks at different leadership styles and when you should use them, for example with girls of different ages.
- Module 3: Planning – allows you to demonstrate how well you understand the programme for the section you volunteer with. It will help you to make sure that the programme is right for the range of ages and abilities in your unit, that all girls take part in planning the programme, and the activities are enjoyable for the girls.
- Module 4: Working with girls – allows you to demonstrate that you understand the girls you work with and can provide the best opportunities for them to grow and develop.
- Module 5: Local guiding – looks at the structure of guiding in your local area and how you are supported within this.
- Module 6: Your role in guiding – is about you showing that you understand the Promise and Law, and your commitment to guiding.